The VIII Birdwatching Festival of Sagres & Nature Activities happens between 4th and 8th October 2017
To participate in the activities you need to have the Festival bracelet;
To obtain your bracelet you should visit the event headquarters (in Beliche Fortress – located on the left side of the road that goes to San Vincent Cape) or ask the tourism companies, when you participate in their activities included in the festival.
The festival bracelet is free;
This bracelet will also enable the participant to access the special prices that accommodation, restaurants and other tourism related companies will offer during the festival;
Nationality of participants
Participation in the festival is open to everyone;
In the descriptive form for each activity, there will be information on the language in which it will be held – Portuguese, English, or both.
Personal Accident Insurance for participants, between 4th and 8th October 2017
1. Participants in activities that require registration, and which have
been confirmed by the organization or by the private companies partners of the
event, are covered by a personal accident insurance during their participation,
in the following terms:
1.1. Free of charge activities
- For insurance purposes, only people aged from 3 to 69 years old (inclusive) are admitted;
- Covers, capitals and compensation limits and deductibles (the capitals and covers follow the rules of the DL 108/2009);
- Payment of the treatment costs, including hospitalization and medicines, to the annual amount of € 3.782,00;
- Payment of a capital of € 21.161,00, in case of death or permanent disability of a participant. It is established a franchise of 10% in the permanent disability cover, so it will not be paid any compensation until that percentage is reached. In case of permanent disability of more than 10%, compensation will be paid as stipulated in the general conditions;
- Children under 14 years old are not covered for the risk of death
1.2. Non-free activities, organized by partner companies
Partner private companies have the responsibility to make their own insurance (mandatory by law) for the activities organized by them, included in the festival. Therefore, the entities that promote the festival and its organization do not have any responsibility while those activities occur.
2. Exclusions (participants not cover by any personal insurance within
- Participants of activities that not require registration;
- Participants with age lesser than 3 year, or older than 69 years, participating in the free activities that required registration. The Organization of the festival declines any responsibility in case of accident).
- Participants that register in the same day the activity is taking place;
The Organization of the festival declines any responsibility in case of accident).
Ethical Code for birdwatchers
The number of people interested in bird watching increases day by day, being essential to consider seriously their responsibility to prevent damages to nature and birds in particular. Birdwatchers should demonstrate a responsible attitude, since they play an essential role in bird conservation, an aspect that should always be taken into account.
In that sense, SPEA drafted this Code of Conduct, simple but essential, consisting of 10 points:
1. The welfare
of the birds must always be in first place.
If you are bird-ringer, nature photographer, scientist or bird watcher, you should ALWAYS have in mind that the welfare of the bird is the most important.
2. The habitat must be respected.
The habitat is vital for birds, so that all our activities should respect it and do not cause any damage. We should leave everything exactly as we found it.
3. Do not
disturb birds in any way.
We must not disturb birds at any time, but especially during nesting time, as this can cause the abandonment of the nest, with the consequent loss of eggs and chicks.
4. Inform and report when necessary.
- If you find any accidental or rare bird, you should submit the information to the Portuguese Committee of Rarities (email@example.com). If you think that it is an exotic bird, you can communicate it to SPEA.
- If you observe a ringed bird, you should provide information about the rings to the entity responsible of collecting this information (CEMPA-ICNB, firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If you find an injured or weakened bird, you should immediately contact the nearest recovery center or call to SOS Ambiente e Território, from the Department of Nature and Environment Conservation (SEPNA) (Tel: 808 200 520);
- The birds found dead should be left where they are, after identifying and verifying the presence of rings.
- If you witness attacks against nature / biodiversity, assess the situation, and notify Authorities immediately (Tlf: GNR/SEPNA 808 200 520).
5. Follow rules and laws regarding
The rights of the private land-owners must always be respected. Do not enter into properties without permission and stay on paths. It is essential for the species conservation and for a good image of birdwatchers.
When you meet more visitors in the observation area, you should take into account that everyone has an equal right to enjoy the environment and its birdlife.
information with others.
Freely share your knowledge and sightings with other birdwatchers, notably submitting to Portugal Aves (http://ebird.org/content/portugal/), but do not give information about sensitive species nest sites, colonies and dormitories.
9. Act the way you would like that others act in your
And exemplary behaviour and the accomplishment of that code will become birders in bird conservation ambassadors.
the sustainable development of that activity.
- If you want to hire tour guide services, make sure that they are accredited for the activity;
- Consume local products and services to support the economy of the region. Local communities will assess the added value of safeguarding birds and preserving their habitats.
Stay and eat
- Where to stay
There is a list of accommodation partners of this event which will offer special rates to participants. For enquiries, simply go to the “Partners – Accomodation” section of this website and make an appointment directly with them.
- Where to eat
You can enjoy discounts at various restaurants in the village of Sagres. Access the list of those in the “Partners – Restaurantes” menu.
The Tourist Office of the Municipality of Vila do Bispo is available to professionals in the field of tourism, and individual visitors, seeking information about the municipality of Vila do Bispo.
> information on accommodation and restaurants;
> information about tourism-related companies;
> preparation of a programme to visit to the region;
> suggested places with touristic interest.
> Rosário Oliveira
Tlf: +351 282 630 600 / Ext.246 | Tlm: +351 910 547 861 | E-mail: email@example.com